China warns of “counterstrike” against Philippines

Reading Time: 1 minute

south_china_sea_graphIn the latest escalation of tension in the South China Sea, China’s state media has warned that it a “counterstrike” is inevitable if the Philippines continues with prevocational acts.

The warning statement was issued while ministers were convening in Brunei for talks held by the ASEAN nations, which began June 29 and conclude on July 2.

China’s sharp reactions follow the commencement of six-day war games that began being conducted in the South China Sea on June 27 by the Philippine Navy’s flagship and a US destroyer. High-level representatives from the US, Russia and Japan will be among the attendees at the ASEAN meeting in Brunei.

The US says their participation is part of an annual exercise to help boost the poorly equipped Philippine navy in its perceived struggle against the rising aggression of China.

“The goal of these exercises is to further boost cooperation… between the two armed forces and further streamline responses to counter-terrorism and maritime security,” deputy presidential spokeswoman Abigail Valte told AFP.

Though only major international headlines in recent years, the Philippines and China have locked horns over the South China Sea for over a decade.

State-run Chinese media often runs stories that include barbed commentary accusing the Philippines of the “illegal occupation” of the Spratly Islands.

It is hoped that the Brunei meeting between ASEAN leaders will solidify a Code of Conduct to establish a discussion mechanism for the dispute, an instrument begun by former ASEAN Secretary General Surin Pitsuwan.

However, last year’s ASEAN Summit in Phnom Penh failed to push through any concrete motions, leading analysts to wonder if there is any light at the end of the tunnel.

Do you like this post?
  • Fascinated
  • Happy
  • Sad
  • Angry
  • Bored
  • Afraid

Reading Time: 1 minute

In the latest escalation of tension in the South China Sea, China’s state media has warned that it a “counterstrike” is inevitable if the Philippines continues with prevocational acts.

Reading Time: 1 minute

south_china_sea_graphIn the latest escalation of tension in the South China Sea, China’s state media has warned that it a “counterstrike” is inevitable if the Philippines continues with prevocational acts.

The warning statement was issued while ministers were convening in Brunei for talks held by the ASEAN nations, which began June 29 and conclude on July 2.

China’s sharp reactions follow the commencement of six-day war games that began being conducted in the South China Sea on June 27 by the Philippine Navy’s flagship and a US destroyer. High-level representatives from the US, Russia and Japan will be among the attendees at the ASEAN meeting in Brunei.

The US says their participation is part of an annual exercise to help boost the poorly equipped Philippine navy in its perceived struggle against the rising aggression of China.

“The goal of these exercises is to further boost cooperation… between the two armed forces and further streamline responses to counter-terrorism and maritime security,” deputy presidential spokeswoman Abigail Valte told AFP.

Though only major international headlines in recent years, the Philippines and China have locked horns over the South China Sea for over a decade.

State-run Chinese media often runs stories that include barbed commentary accusing the Philippines of the “illegal occupation” of the Spratly Islands.

It is hoped that the Brunei meeting between ASEAN leaders will solidify a Code of Conduct to establish a discussion mechanism for the dispute, an instrument begun by former ASEAN Secretary General Surin Pitsuwan.

However, last year’s ASEAN Summit in Phnom Penh failed to push through any concrete motions, leading analysts to wonder if there is any light at the end of the tunnel.

Do you like this post?
  • Fascinated
  • Happy
  • Sad
  • Angry
  • Bored
  • Afraid