Chinese woman electrocuted by iPhone, Apple says ‘sorry’

Reading Time: 1 minute
Ma
Ma Ailun, flight attendant with China Southern Airlines (†)

Chinese web news service Weibo, the local equivalent of Twitter, went hot after reports started circulating that a 23-year-old Chinese woman was killed by an electric shock from her iPhone 5 on July 11.

Ma Ailun, a flight attendant with China Southern Airlines, was reportedly electrocuted and killed in her home in Xinjiang when she answered a call while the phone was being charged, according to Weibo postings by Ma’s sister. She was preparing for her wedding on August 8.

“I hope that Apple Inc can give us an explanation. I also hope that all of you will refrain from using your mobile devices while charging,” her post, which was retweeted over 3,000 times, read.

A spokeswoman for Apple said the company was “deeply saddened” to learn of the “tragic incident” and offered their condolences to the family.

“We will fully investigate and co-operate with authorities in this matter,” the statement said.

Experts said that the charger or the circuit might have had problem, such as a broken wire, which can lead to a shock of 220 volts.

Do you like this post?
  • Fascinated
  • Happy
  • Sad
  • Angry
  • Bored
  • Afraid

Reading Time: 1 minute

Ma Ailun, flight attendant with China Southern Airlines (†)

Chinese web news service Weibo, the local equivalent of Twitter, went hot after reports started circulating that a 23-year-old Chinese woman was killed by an electric shock from her iPhone 5 on July 11.

Reading Time: 1 minute

Ma
Ma Ailun, flight attendant with China Southern Airlines (†)

Chinese web news service Weibo, the local equivalent of Twitter, went hot after reports started circulating that a 23-year-old Chinese woman was killed by an electric shock from her iPhone 5 on July 11.

Ma Ailun, a flight attendant with China Southern Airlines, was reportedly electrocuted and killed in her home in Xinjiang when she answered a call while the phone was being charged, according to Weibo postings by Ma’s sister. She was preparing for her wedding on August 8.

“I hope that Apple Inc can give us an explanation. I also hope that all of you will refrain from using your mobile devices while charging,” her post, which was retweeted over 3,000 times, read.

A spokeswoman for Apple said the company was “deeply saddened” to learn of the “tragic incident” and offered their condolences to the family.

“We will fully investigate and co-operate with authorities in this matter,” the statement said.

Experts said that the charger or the circuit might have had problem, such as a broken wire, which can lead to a shock of 220 volts.

Do you like this post?
  • Fascinated
  • Happy
  • Sad
  • Angry
  • Bored
  • Afraid