Laos reopens after three weeks without virus cases

The government of Laos said it will allow restaurants and shopping centers to reopen starting May 4 as the country eases its lockdown after reporting no new coronavirus infections for 21 consecutive days and the total number of confirmed cases unchanged at just 19. Of the infected, nine patients have recovered and ten are being treated in designated hospitals.

However, people leaving their homes must wear face masks and maintain a social distance of one meter, while travel across provincial borders remains banned. The new rules will be in place for two weeks through May 17, but a total lockdown will go back in force if new infections are detected in at least two provinces.

Apart from restaurants and shopping malls, the looser restrictions will apply to retail and service businesses such as beauty parlors and auto mechanics. Offices may reopen as well if they adopt rotating shifts.

Pub goers and massage lovers still need to be patient

Recreational and leisure-oriented places will remain closed, including bars, cinemas, massage parlors, indoor gyms and outdoor team sporting venues.

Laos went in lockdown on March 18 when the government stopped issuing visas to foreigners and shut down recreational venues. That was followed by a stay-at-home order on March 30 and the closure of more venues and businesses, which was extended on April 15.

The country’s National Taskforce Committee for Covid-19 Prevention and Control announced it had been monitoring 639 people at 147 accommodation centers across the country along with 400 people self-isolating at home.



Support ASEAN news

Investvine has been a consistent voice in ASEAN news for more than a decade. From breaking news to exclusive interviews with key ASEAN leaders, we have brought you factual and engaging reports – the stories that matter, free of charge.

Like many news organisations, we are striving to survive in an age of reduced advertising and biased journalism. Our mission is to rise above today’s challenges and chart tomorrow’s world with clear, dependable reporting.

Support us now with a donation of your choosing. Your contribution will help us shine a light on important ASEAN stories, reach more people and lift the manifold voices of this dynamic, influential region.

$
Personal Info

Donation Total: $10.00

 

 

The government of Laos said it will allow restaurants and shopping centers to reopen starting May 4 as the country eases its lockdown after reporting no new coronavirus infections for 21 consecutive days and the total number of confirmed cases unchanged at just 19. Of the infected, nine patients have recovered and ten are being treated in designated hospitals. However, people leaving their homes must wear face masks and maintain a social distance of one meter, while travel across provincial borders remains banned. The new rules will be in place for two weeks through May 17, but a total lockdown...

The government of Laos said it will allow restaurants and shopping centers to reopen starting May 4 as the country eases its lockdown after reporting no new coronavirus infections for 21 consecutive days and the total number of confirmed cases unchanged at just 19. Of the infected, nine patients have recovered and ten are being treated in designated hospitals.

However, people leaving their homes must wear face masks and maintain a social distance of one meter, while travel across provincial borders remains banned. The new rules will be in place for two weeks through May 17, but a total lockdown will go back in force if new infections are detected in at least two provinces.

Apart from restaurants and shopping malls, the looser restrictions will apply to retail and service businesses such as beauty parlors and auto mechanics. Offices may reopen as well if they adopt rotating shifts.

Pub goers and massage lovers still need to be patient

Recreational and leisure-oriented places will remain closed, including bars, cinemas, massage parlors, indoor gyms and outdoor team sporting venues.

Laos went in lockdown on March 18 when the government stopped issuing visas to foreigners and shut down recreational venues. That was followed by a stay-at-home order on March 30 and the closure of more venues and businesses, which was extended on April 15.

The country’s National Taskforce Committee for Covid-19 Prevention and Control announced it had been monitoring 639 people at 147 accommodation centers across the country along with 400 people self-isolating at home.



Support ASEAN news

Investvine has been a consistent voice in ASEAN news for more than a decade. From breaking news to exclusive interviews with key ASEAN leaders, we have brought you factual and engaging reports – the stories that matter, free of charge.

Like many news organisations, we are striving to survive in an age of reduced advertising and biased journalism. Our mission is to rise above today’s challenges and chart tomorrow’s world with clear, dependable reporting.

Support us now with a donation of your choosing. Your contribution will help us shine a light on important ASEAN stories, reach more people and lift the manifold voices of this dynamic, influential region.

$
Personal Info

Donation Total: $10.00

 

 

NO COMMENTS

Leave a Reply