Laos to launch first satellite in 2015

Reading Time: 1 minute

laos satelliteChinese contractors will launch Laos’ first satellite next year, state media reported on May 27. China Asia-Pacific Mobile Telecommunications Satellite Company and Chengdu Linhai Electronics Company have started production on the satellite, the Vientiane Times said.

It will be launched into an orbital slot of 128.5 degrees, the newspaper reported. Such slots are normally allocated by the International Telecommunications Union.

“Forty-two young Lao officials have just completed three months of initial training on satellite communications in preparation for the satellite’s operation,” said the government mouthpiece.

Laos signed a $250-million agreement in 2011 with the two Chinese contractors to build and launch the satellite, using a Chinese loan. The satellite will relay data for television and telephone services.

Laos will hold a 30 per cent share in the project with the other 70 per cent owned by the Chinese companies.

The Chinese and the Lao government will jointly build a factory that will manufacture satellite equipment and various electronic communications components. They will also set up the Institute for Science Educational Research and Technology Aerospace to train personnel required for the project.

A previous joint venture with a Thai investor to put a satellite into orbit at the same location failed when the Thai party ran into financial difficulties.

Do you like this post?
  • Fascinated
  • Happy
  • Sad
  • Angry
  • Bored
  • Afraid

Reading Time: 1 minute

Chinese contractors will launch Laos’ first satellite next year, state media reported on May 27. China Asia-Pacific Mobile Telecommunications Satellite Company and Chengdu Linhai Electronics Company have started production on the satellite, the Vientiane Times said.

Reading Time: 1 minute

laos satelliteChinese contractors will launch Laos’ first satellite next year, state media reported on May 27. China Asia-Pacific Mobile Telecommunications Satellite Company and Chengdu Linhai Electronics Company have started production on the satellite, the Vientiane Times said.

It will be launched into an orbital slot of 128.5 degrees, the newspaper reported. Such slots are normally allocated by the International Telecommunications Union.

“Forty-two young Lao officials have just completed three months of initial training on satellite communications in preparation for the satellite’s operation,” said the government mouthpiece.

Laos signed a $250-million agreement in 2011 with the two Chinese contractors to build and launch the satellite, using a Chinese loan. The satellite will relay data for television and telephone services.

Laos will hold a 30 per cent share in the project with the other 70 per cent owned by the Chinese companies.

The Chinese and the Lao government will jointly build a factory that will manufacture satellite equipment and various electronic communications components. They will also set up the Institute for Science Educational Research and Technology Aerospace to train personnel required for the project.

A previous joint venture with a Thai investor to put a satellite into orbit at the same location failed when the Thai party ran into financial difficulties.

Do you like this post?
  • Fascinated
  • Happy
  • Sad
  • Angry
  • Bored
  • Afraid