MH370 families launch campaign to fund private plane search

Reading Time: 1 minute

Families of passengers of the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 on March 4 launched a private funding campaign to search for the aircraft on their own after the governments of Malaysia, Australia and China jointly called off a two-year underwater search for the aircraft in January.

Flight MH370, carrying 239 people, went missing on its way from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing nearly three years ago on March 8, 2014.

A  lawyer for the group of families said said they hope to raise at least $15 million to fund an initial search in an area further north of the previous search zone where debris findings and drift modeling analysis suggest the plane could have come down.

The campaign was launched at a MH370 memorial event held at a mall in Kuala Lumpur.

Malaysian Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai, who attended the event, when asked about this private search said that “everyone can come in and help” and that the next-of-kin had come up with good proposals.

“We will discuss this,” he said, when asked if the Malaysian government would contribute to the private search.

Liow added that Malaysian authorities so far have analysed 27 pieces of potential MH370 debris found along the East African coastline, including two new pieces found in South Africa two weeks ago. The government has also signed several agreements with countries along the East African coastline to coordinate searches for debris, Liow said.

If any debris is an object of interest, analysis will continue, he said. A final official report on the plane’s disappearance would be released later this year.

 
Do you like this post?
  • Fascinated
  • Happy
  • Sad
  • Angry
  • Bored
  • Afraid

Reading Time: 1 minute

Families of passengers of the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 on March 4 launched a private funding campaign to search for the aircraft on their own after the governments of Malaysia, Australia and China jointly called off a two-year underwater search for the aircraft in January.

Reading Time: 1 minute

Families of passengers of the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 on March 4 launched a private funding campaign to search for the aircraft on their own after the governments of Malaysia, Australia and China jointly called off a two-year underwater search for the aircraft in January.

Flight MH370, carrying 239 people, went missing on its way from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing nearly three years ago on March 8, 2014.

A  lawyer for the group of families said said they hope to raise at least $15 million to fund an initial search in an area further north of the previous search zone where debris findings and drift modeling analysis suggest the plane could have come down.

The campaign was launched at a MH370 memorial event held at a mall in Kuala Lumpur.

Malaysian Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai, who attended the event, when asked about this private search said that “everyone can come in and help” and that the next-of-kin had come up with good proposals.

“We will discuss this,” he said, when asked if the Malaysian government would contribute to the private search.

Liow added that Malaysian authorities so far have analysed 27 pieces of potential MH370 debris found along the East African coastline, including two new pieces found in South Africa two weeks ago. The government has also signed several agreements with countries along the East African coastline to coordinate searches for debris, Liow said.

If any debris is an object of interest, analysis will continue, he said. A final official report on the plane’s disappearance would be released later this year.

 
Do you like this post?
  • Fascinated
  • Happy
  • Sad
  • Angry
  • Bored
  • Afraid