Philippines to miss tourism targets due to disaster

Reading Time: 1 minute

Phil destructionThe Philippines is unlikely to hit its earlier target of five million tourists in 2013 due to the disastrous typhoon Haiyan and an October earthquake that both caused sever damage in tourism areas, Domingo Enerio, chief of the government’s Tourism Promotions Board, said on December 7.

Both the 2013 target and the 6.8 million target for 2014 may have to be revised in the face of the damage, he said according to AFP.

Tourist arrivals up to September have already reached about 3.6 million, up from 3.2 million in the same period last year, he said. But the disasters will affect arrivals in the last three months which are the peak season for tourists.

The earthquake, which killed more than 220 people, shattered historic churches and tourism facilities and damaged roads in the central islands of Cebu and Bohol, both popular tourist destinations. Less than a month later, Super Typhoon Haiyan swept through the central islands, leaving more than 7,500 dead or missing and devastating whole towns including popular hotels, beach resorts, surfing and dive sites.

Worldwide news coverage of the destruction has also discouraged visitors, and many cancellations followed.

“The whole country’s image has been affected,” Enerio said.

Despite the setbacks, the government is still sticking to its target of 10 million tourist arrivals in 2016, up from about 4.3 million in 2012. In comparison, Thailand expects around 26 million tourist in 2013 despite the ongoing anti-government protests in Bangkok.

Do you like this post?
  • Fascinated
  • Happy
  • Sad
  • Angry
  • Bored
  • Afraid

Reading Time: 1 minute

The Philippines is unlikely to hit its earlier target of five million tourists in 2013 due to the disastrous typhoon Haiyan and an October earthquake that both caused sever damage in tourism areas, Domingo Enerio, chief of the government’s Tourism Promotions Board, said on December 7.

Reading Time: 1 minute

Phil destructionThe Philippines is unlikely to hit its earlier target of five million tourists in 2013 due to the disastrous typhoon Haiyan and an October earthquake that both caused sever damage in tourism areas, Domingo Enerio, chief of the government’s Tourism Promotions Board, said on December 7.

Both the 2013 target and the 6.8 million target for 2014 may have to be revised in the face of the damage, he said according to AFP.

Tourist arrivals up to September have already reached about 3.6 million, up from 3.2 million in the same period last year, he said. But the disasters will affect arrivals in the last three months which are the peak season for tourists.

The earthquake, which killed more than 220 people, shattered historic churches and tourism facilities and damaged roads in the central islands of Cebu and Bohol, both popular tourist destinations. Less than a month later, Super Typhoon Haiyan swept through the central islands, leaving more than 7,500 dead or missing and devastating whole towns including popular hotels, beach resorts, surfing and dive sites.

Worldwide news coverage of the destruction has also discouraged visitors, and many cancellations followed.

“The whole country’s image has been affected,” Enerio said.

Despite the setbacks, the government is still sticking to its target of 10 million tourist arrivals in 2016, up from about 4.3 million in 2012. In comparison, Thailand expects around 26 million tourist in 2013 despite the ongoing anti-government protests in Bangkok.

Do you like this post?
  • Fascinated
  • Happy
  • Sad
  • Angry
  • Bored
  • Afraid