Myanmar needs nearly $1 billion in aid to fund Covid-19 vaccine purchases

Covid-19 disinfection in Yangon

Myanmar’s government is trying to secure more than $950 million from international development organisations to fund the purchase of Covid-19 vaccines in order to immunise its 54-million population, according to a report by The Irrawaddy.

The negotiations are running under a World Health Organization programme, the permanent secretary of the ministry of planning, finance and industry, Tun Tun Naing, was quoted as saying.

The ministry is currently in talks with the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, the Japan International Cooperation Agency and the International Monetary Fund to obtain financial assistance, while the ministry of health and sports is making efforts to acquire Covid-19 vaccines at the earliest, Naing said.

“We are negotiating with them to get loans,” he noted, adding that the cost of the vaccine is around $2 per dose, and two doses are needed per person.

In addition to the vaccine itself, storage and other logistics costs will be significant, Naing added. The government is preparing logistics channels to handle storage and distribution of vaccines across the country.

Last fiscal year ended September 30, Myanmar’s ministries were asked to cut up to ten per cent from their 2019-20 budget allocations and reallocate that money to the country’s Covid-19 fund.

Vaccinations to start in April 2021

Myanmar is expected to start vaccinating its people in April, according to the health ministry.

The country on December 7 submitted its request to the COVAX program at the World Health Organization and the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunisation, an international alliance to ensure Covid-19 vaccines reach the world’s poor.

The program aims to deliver at least two billion vaccine doses by the end of 2021, covering 20 per cent of the most vulnerable people in 92 poor and middle-income countries, mostly in Africa, Asia and Latin America.

According to Myanmar’s health ministry, 40 per cent of the country’s population is expected to be vaccinated against Covid-19 by the end of 2021. The remaining 60 per cent is expected to receive Covid-19 vaccinations in the following year.

In early December, Myanmar state counselor Aung San Suu Kyi promised that no one would be left behind in Myanmar’s vaccination program, adding that government will act fairly. However, she said the government may provide vaccines to areas where virus containment efforts have been successful or areas where businesses can resume, in order to revive the economy.



Support ASEAN news

Investvine has been a consistent voice in ASEAN news for more than a decade. From breaking news to exclusive interviews with key ASEAN leaders, we have brought you factual and engaging reports – the stories that matter, free of charge.

Like many news organisations, we are striving to survive in an age of reduced advertising and biased journalism. Our mission is to rise above today’s challenges and chart tomorrow’s world with clear, dependable reporting.

Support us now with a donation of your choosing. Your contribution will help us shine a light on important ASEAN stories, reach more people and lift the manifold voices of this dynamic, influential region.

$
Personal Info

Donation Total: $10.00

 

 

Covid-19 disinfection in Yangon Myanmar’s government is trying to secure more than $950 million from international development organisations to fund the purchase of Covid-19 vaccines in order to immunise its 54-million population, according to a report by The Irrawaddy. The negotiations are running under a World Health Organization programme, the permanent secretary of the ministry of planning, finance and industry, Tun Tun Naing, was quoted as saying. The ministry is currently in talks with the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, the Japan International Cooperation Agency and the International Monetary Fund to obtain financial assistance, while the ministry of health...

Covid-19 disinfection in Yangon

Myanmar’s government is trying to secure more than $950 million from international development organisations to fund the purchase of Covid-19 vaccines in order to immunise its 54-million population, according to a report by The Irrawaddy.

The negotiations are running under a World Health Organization programme, the permanent secretary of the ministry of planning, finance and industry, Tun Tun Naing, was quoted as saying.

The ministry is currently in talks with the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, the Japan International Cooperation Agency and the International Monetary Fund to obtain financial assistance, while the ministry of health and sports is making efforts to acquire Covid-19 vaccines at the earliest, Naing said.

“We are negotiating with them to get loans,” he noted, adding that the cost of the vaccine is around $2 per dose, and two doses are needed per person.

In addition to the vaccine itself, storage and other logistics costs will be significant, Naing added. The government is preparing logistics channels to handle storage and distribution of vaccines across the country.

Last fiscal year ended September 30, Myanmar’s ministries were asked to cut up to ten per cent from their 2019-20 budget allocations and reallocate that money to the country’s Covid-19 fund.

Vaccinations to start in April 2021

Myanmar is expected to start vaccinating its people in April, according to the health ministry.

The country on December 7 submitted its request to the COVAX program at the World Health Organization and the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunisation, an international alliance to ensure Covid-19 vaccines reach the world’s poor.

The program aims to deliver at least two billion vaccine doses by the end of 2021, covering 20 per cent of the most vulnerable people in 92 poor and middle-income countries, mostly in Africa, Asia and Latin America.

According to Myanmar’s health ministry, 40 per cent of the country’s population is expected to be vaccinated against Covid-19 by the end of 2021. The remaining 60 per cent is expected to receive Covid-19 vaccinations in the following year.

In early December, Myanmar state counselor Aung San Suu Kyi promised that no one would be left behind in Myanmar’s vaccination program, adding that government will act fairly. However, she said the government may provide vaccines to areas where virus containment efforts have been successful or areas where businesses can resume, in order to revive the economy.



Support ASEAN news

Investvine has been a consistent voice in ASEAN news for more than a decade. From breaking news to exclusive interviews with key ASEAN leaders, we have brought you factual and engaging reports – the stories that matter, free of charge.

Like many news organisations, we are striving to survive in an age of reduced advertising and biased journalism. Our mission is to rise above today’s challenges and chart tomorrow’s world with clear, dependable reporting.

Support us now with a donation of your choosing. Your contribution will help us shine a light on important ASEAN stories, reach more people and lift the manifold voices of this dynamic, influential region.

$
Personal Info

Donation Total: $10.00

 

 

NO COMMENTS

Leave a Reply