Vietnam F1 race to go ahead despite virus crisis, race manager says

The newly-built Formula 1 circuit in Hanoi

The Vietnam Grand Prix to be held in Hanoi on April 5 is expected to go ahead despite concerns over the coronavirus epidemic, Formula 1’s motorsport managing director Ross Brawn told Reuters.

His statement comes after the Chinese Grand Prix, scheduled for April 19 in Shanghai, was postponed this week.

“For Vietnam, all the feedback we are getting is rather like the UK. There have been some cases but not a level that would concern us,” said Brawn, adding that “the advice we are getting is that it can go ahead there.”

Hanoi is just 160 kilometers from the border with China, the center of the outbreak. On February 13, Vietnam announced that it had quarantined around 10,000 people in the commune of Son Loi, some 40 kilometers northwest of Hanoi, for 20 days because of fears over the spread of the disease.

The Vietnam F1 race “remains on schedule”

A Formula 1 spokesman said that Brawn was not aware of the new developments in Vietnam when he spoke but added that “we can only confirm that Vietnam is on the schedule” and that the situation would be “closely monitored.”

Meanwhile, McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown said that he would not force any team personnel to travel to Hanoi if they have health concerns.

“We would never do anything that puts our people at risk, and I don’t believe Formula 1 would as well.”

In Vietnam, 16 people have been infected with the coronavirus so far. In China, 60,000 are reported to have fallen sick from it. Altogether, the virus has now claimed more than 1,350 lives, almost all in China.



Support ASEAN news

Investvine has been a consistent voice in ASEAN news for more than a decade. From breaking news to exclusive interviews with key ASEAN leaders, we have brought you factual and engaging reports – the stories that matter, free of charge.

Like many news organisations, we are striving to survive in an age of reduced advertising and biased journalism. Our mission is to rise above today’s challenges and chart tomorrow’s world with clear, dependable reporting.

Support us now with a donation of your choosing. Your contribution will help us shine a light on important ASEAN stories, reach more people and lift the manifold voices of this dynamic, influential region.

$
Personal Info

Donation Total: $10.00

 

 

The newly-built Formula 1 circuit in Hanoi The Vietnam Grand Prix to be held in Hanoi on April 5 is expected to go ahead despite concerns over the coronavirus epidemic, Formula 1's motorsport managing director Ross Brawn told Reuters. His statement comes after the Chinese Grand Prix, scheduled for April 19 in Shanghai, was postponed this week. “For Vietnam, all the feedback we are getting is rather like the UK. There have been some cases but not a level that would concern us," said Brawn, adding that “the advice we are getting is that it can go ahead there." Hanoi...

The newly-built Formula 1 circuit in Hanoi

The Vietnam Grand Prix to be held in Hanoi on April 5 is expected to go ahead despite concerns over the coronavirus epidemic, Formula 1’s motorsport managing director Ross Brawn told Reuters.

His statement comes after the Chinese Grand Prix, scheduled for April 19 in Shanghai, was postponed this week.

“For Vietnam, all the feedback we are getting is rather like the UK. There have been some cases but not a level that would concern us,” said Brawn, adding that “the advice we are getting is that it can go ahead there.”

Hanoi is just 160 kilometers from the border with China, the center of the outbreak. On February 13, Vietnam announced that it had quarantined around 10,000 people in the commune of Son Loi, some 40 kilometers northwest of Hanoi, for 20 days because of fears over the spread of the disease.

The Vietnam F1 race “remains on schedule”

A Formula 1 spokesman said that Brawn was not aware of the new developments in Vietnam when he spoke but added that “we can only confirm that Vietnam is on the schedule” and that the situation would be “closely monitored.”

Meanwhile, McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown said that he would not force any team personnel to travel to Hanoi if they have health concerns.

“We would never do anything that puts our people at risk, and I don’t believe Formula 1 would as well.”

In Vietnam, 16 people have been infected with the coronavirus so far. In China, 60,000 are reported to have fallen sick from it. Altogether, the virus has now claimed more than 1,350 lives, almost all in China.



Support ASEAN news

Investvine has been a consistent voice in ASEAN news for more than a decade. From breaking news to exclusive interviews with key ASEAN leaders, we have brought you factual and engaging reports – the stories that matter, free of charge.

Like many news organisations, we are striving to survive in an age of reduced advertising and biased journalism. Our mission is to rise above today’s challenges and chart tomorrow’s world with clear, dependable reporting.

Support us now with a donation of your choosing. Your contribution will help us shine a light on important ASEAN stories, reach more people and lift the manifold voices of this dynamic, influential region.

$
Personal Info

Donation Total: $10.00

 

 

NO COMMENTS

Leave a Reply